Thursday, January 17, 2013

Dating Woes of a Navy Brat: Part One


 Over a hot pizza oven, flying pizza dough, and marina sauce I fell for this dark chocolate brother in high school. He was the Steve Urkel looking type who I saw as my Stefan Urkel. For those of you people who aren't aware of this 90's sitcom references, Steve Urkel was a character from Family Mattedr.  Stefan Urkel was his better looking, suave, alter-ego he created with one of his quirky machines. I digress. My Urkel understood my humor, and at the time was my best friend. When my Urkel found a barber, contacts, and confidence he soon left me in the same sweaty pizza shop where I fell for him. (see the Sbarros Heisman blog for more details)

Fast forward a few years, I'm home on fall break. We bump into each other at the same mall where it all began. He looked buffer, and stronger than I remembered. Through a few awkward exchanges I learned he was in the service, and was about to be deployed to Afghanistan in a few weeks. He flashed that bright Urkel smile I fell for so many years again, and I gave him my phone number. He apologized for the Heisman he served me so many years ago, and said he wished things were different. In that way women do, my mind seemed to have erased the cockiness he got when other girls seemed to notice him. Before I knew it we were texting, calling, emailing, and trying to recapture those adolescent feelings while he was deployed in Afghanistan.

I remember jumping from the top dorm bunk in a sleep hazy to answer his 6:00 a.m. phone calls. It was the only time I could hear his voice, and know that he was OK. Days turned to weeks, and before long I was mailing care packages overseas, and taking phone calls from his mother updating her on his status. I was officially the thing I always said I wouldn't be a service member girlfriend.

I jumped up and down in excitement when he told me he was coming home. He promised to visit me. and take me to dinner. For the weeks leading up to the day I remember agonizing over my weight, my outfit, my hair, and what I would say. But, when I saw him all I wanted to do was hug and kiss him, and hopefully feel the passion we shared in those emails, letters, and early morning phone calls.

All those hours working out, and toning had been good to him. He had cuts in his muscles, and a new swagger to him. I was intoxicated, and pinching myself that a quirky good girl like me could pull a GQ hunk like him. I was floating during our date. I walked around the mall with him on my arm. I could see girls staring, and giving us looks. It only bolstered my self-esteem. Yes indeed. This girl is pulling this guy I thought to myself. His voice seemed smoother, and more suave than in high school. It was like he spoke seduction and charm. He opened doors, let me order first, bought me dinner, and gushed about my beauty. I was in girl heaven. Would this be the man to break my feelings about military loving? He was sure making a good case for himself.  Things were looking good that was until we kissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment