Monday, October 21, 2019

Lolo's Love Life: The Coffee Shop

The Coffee Shop

I’ve been in dozens of coffee shops.
The corporate ones where the coffee is predictable.
The run down ones where you wonder how they can call this suspect brown water coffee.

I've been to the hole in the wall shops, the places people ignore.
Only to walk in and find the coziest kind of comfort.

The best blend of coffee, the cold cream, the sweetest treats.

Yours… was different from the start.

When I walked in, the music playing ignites all of my senses
The music is soft and melodic, sensual, and slow
It relaxes me...

There are boxes all over the place, a mess I didn’t expect
But the I lock eyes with the barista
His smile is pure, seemingly innocent, and kind
In that instance all the mess and chaos I see in this place doesn't seem matter

It is just me and him …. the sound of rhythm and blues
The aroma of bold coffee with a hint of sugar

I order a basic coffee because I am unsure if I will like it here..
He offers more.
"You should try your coffee with this thing we call romance," he says.

Romance ?
"Did you say romance?" I ask. "Like love romance? That’s weird? In coffee?"

I am skeptical. 
Is this some kind of sales ploy to pull in sad single women like me?
But I indulge.. "Sure I’ll take the romance!"

The barista turns his back and begins creating this thing he calls romance in my coffee.
I watch him.
He takes him time, adding every flavor with care, and attention.

It takes longer than I expect, and while I wait I take in the rest of the coffee shop
Even in the mess, it is quaint, inviting even
There are brown couches, pictures of happy people hang on the walls, natural light beams through the windows

Maybe I will come back here I think

The barista is done. "Here’s the drink we call romance," he says.

I find a seat in the back, put on my headphones, and pull out my laptop to work.
I open up a Word document and wait for the words to find me.
I want to describe this aching in my heart to have a partner in this life, but little hope that it can happen.

I reach for the cup of romance, and sip it slow. It is the perfect mixture of velvety, creamy, and caffeinated.
I have to take another sip because I am in disbelief. 
This is not like the other coffee shops I have been too—something about this drink, this place, this barista is very very different. 

The barista is watching me, a tall, light man, with chisled muscles.
He smile.
"I told you , you would like the romance. In fact I’ve been saving it for you".

"What? What did you say?"
He turns his back and continues to his work.

For what feels like minutes I sit in that brown coffee shop sipping this romance, inhaling the sweetness, taking in the chaos.
When I leave I realize it’s been hours.
I’ve been in that stores way longer than I anticipated… and what I feel in there is unlike anything I’ve felt in years…

Walking out I turn to the barista, and say, “I’ll definitely be back.”
“I sure so,” he says with a smile. “I sure hope so. I think we have just want you’ve been looking for here," he says.

I turn away, confused, a little scared...but hungry to come back for that feeling…… and a little something they call romance.


No comments:

Post a Comment