Sunday, May 10, 2020

Mental Health Awareness Month: Connections to Help & Support



May is Mental Health Awarneness Month! May is an important time to spark real conversations about mental health. The biggest thing I have learned in my journey as an advocate is that few people know where the help is. I certainly did not know about all the amazing organizations and connections I know.

First, I'd like to share details about two non-profits that are near and dear to my heart. The National Alliance on Mental Illness and the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.


Free Online Peer Support with The National Alliance on Mental Illness
NAMI is the nation's largest grassroots organization dedicated to building the lives of people living with mental illness. I discovered NAMI 3 years ago, when someone invited me to a Connections group. Connections is a support group comprised of people living with mental illness. The experience in this support group encouraged me to take the NAMI class Peer to Peer. The 8 week course teaches people about living with mental illness. I learned the power of mindful, assertive communication, and how to ask for help. You can find a NAMI chapter in your area by going to www.nami.org

Due to social distancing a lot of the support groups and classes have gone virtual. Another plus, all of these programs are absolutely free.

Click here for the Hampton Roads resources!





The Power of A Real Convo : The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
I never imagined I would say the word suicide as much as I do now. Suicide was a word I just never said. Even when I struggled with suicidal ideation as a teenager. It wasn't until I started volunteering for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention that I became more comfortable saying the word, and I learned some powerful ways to fight suicide. This month the Virginia Chapter Board of AFSP is offering the community suicide prevention training called Talk Saves Lives. This 30 minute presentation will teach you the general scope of suicide, research on the topic, and ways to direct people to help.

Sign up for TALK SAVES LIVES HERE !


No comments:

Post a Comment