Tuesday, April 26, 2016

A Little Something About Sara Lee: The View from a Big Sister

 In my mind she was no different from the rest of us, except she had the ability to see the world through much kinder eyes. She wouldn’t see it for its possible dangers. She would run up to complete strangers and wrap her arms around them, smiling. It was her way of showing someone she liked them. She’s wasn’t special or handicapped, to me she was just my little sister. Her small eyes and facial features were beautiful. To me all of these things made my unique. To me and I family she was our little ray of sunshine, the person in our lives who taught us to love with compassion.



Her smile is always so pure, and full of happiness. She has this innocence about her, an innocence that will never allow her to fully understand the depth of the world in the way I would grow to see it.  She will never understand that the world would treat her different because of her speech or the way she looked. She wouldn’t understand the reason people stared at her or the mean things they were saying about her. But, I knew. And I could feel their eyes staring at our family and her. I could hear the whispers from behind us, and when I was younger it angered me.

It hurt me to the core that people would make fun of her. And some days it was hard to keep my head held high and stand by her as an older sister should. I’d hang head low away from the glaring eyes of strangers. My sister on the other hand, would look to me for reassurance. Not fully understanding the mean glares or whispers. She’d smiled, looking at me for her backup. But, I couldn’t return it. I was too angry and too hurt to walk proudly by her. Sometimes she would see this and she’d sink into her self a bit. That was worse than the mean comments, knowing I couldn’t stand up for her.

 Then one day something shifted in me. My family and I were shopping at a supermarket when some young boys started whispering mean things about my sister. And she looked at me again, gauging my reaction, searching for my reassurance, this time I didn’t turn away. ‘If you have something to say to her you say it to me, “I said in an assertive tone. The boys stared back at me shaking, nervously. And my little sister looked back at me and smiled.  It was a smile that came from knowing her big sis not only had her back, but held no shame. And I realized then that’s all she needed was some reassurance that her big sister had her back. It didn’t matter if the world didn’t see what a beautiful girl I knew her to be or that her differences are what made her special, it only mattered that I knew. And, from then I on I promised to always have her back.


I am so lucky to be a sister of a Down Syndrome child.  My sister teaches me everyday to not look at people for their outward appearance. She’s taught me the meaning of true beauty. And her love of life inspires me everyday to be a woman she’s proud of. Because, of her I am more patient, kind, and considerate. And while I know the world may never fully understand children with special needs, I don’t expect them to, but I hope we all come to a place where we are more tolerant and welcoming of people with special needs. There is so much we can learn from them. I also hope that people will take the time understand, even if it means asking questions. I hope people grow more compassionate to people with special needs they have so much love to give. And if you take the time you’ll find that like you and I they have the same desires to love and be loved, a bond that makes us more similar than different.

As a reporter at WSET in Lynchburg, Virginia I am proud I got to tell Sara's story. Because it is the story of so many families. And, as I move towards my new website I plan to tell a whole lot more.

Don't let the look of my site fool you it will not only be about love and liberation it will also be about heart, depression, family, falling down------  life.

When you subscribe to www.teamgoodgirl.com this month you will receive free weekly blogs from me. When www.laurenhope.co it will cost just $1.99 to continue receiving those stories. Stories like this and I hope you join me. www.goodgirlchapters.blogspot.com will always be here. But, once I reach 100 blogs I will no longer be writing here.

Love You, Love God More

Lauren Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment