Friday, June 29, 2018

Host Debrief for Suicide: Ripple Effect

Last night I hosted a screening of the film Suicide: The Ripple Effect. It was intense, eye-opening, and shocking. What follows is the email I am sending the people who attended the screening.

Good Morning,

This is Lauren Hope, movie captain for last night’s showing of the Ripple Effect. I want to thank each and every one of you who came out last night. Special thanks to Christy Letsom, board member with American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, and The Sarah Michelle Peterson Foundation for being there with support and information.

I also wanted to check-in this morning. Like you all I watched the movie for the first time last night. As a suicide attempt survivor it was an intense film for me. It brought up a lot of feelings for me; a roller coaster of feelings in fact. If anything in this film made you sad, depressed, increased suicidal ideation or triggered something in you I strongly encourage you to share that with a trust friend, counselor , or family member.  One of the biggest take aways I recieved from the film and my own advocacy is the importance of connection, letting people know when we are struggling, and being available to listen.

With that in mind I want to remind everyone the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is open 24 hours a day 1-800-273-TALK or 1-800-273-TALK . Their website is also an incredible source of information suicidepreventionlifeline.org

I am a member of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, and a HUGE supporter of American Foundationf for Suicide Prevention. Check them out also www.nami.org or AFSP.org

I also hope last night sparked a desire in you to learn more about suicide and how to prevent it. The Sarah Michelle Peterson Foundation gives training on how to recognize signs and how to start the conversation. I hope you consider taking a further step in prevention and consider taking one of those trainings. Www.sarahmpetersonfoundation.org

I also heard a lot of people talk to be about getting suicide prevention knowledge to kids. I would love to let you all know about an amazing regional event called ‘Shatter the Silence’ created for kids middle school and up that address suicide, prevention, and mental health. Follow me on my business page Good Girl Chronicles LLC or email me at teamgoodgirl84@gmail.com and I can get you registered for the event and give information.

Thanks again. Time is a precious gift and I am thankful you choose to spend that time together with us last night.

Sincerely,

Lauren Hope
Good Girl Chronicles LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment