Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I'll Still Be Keeping Up With the Kardashians

I am probably going to get some flack for writing this. But, all things considered I know I'll still be Keeping Up With the Kardashians. I mean who else could have taught me the correct way to use "fab" or "glam" in a sentence? And, who could have made me appreciate leggings, and the use of the word "bible" as a replacement for the word "truth"? Paris Hilton's show certainly didn't give me that much material to work with. I'm just saying. NOw that Kim is calling it quits after 72 days of marriage a lot of folks are calling foul, and saying the Kardashians are money hungry bitches... and their show is fake... Well here's what I think..

This whole Kim Kardashian divorce announcement reminds me of the time I found out wrestling was fake. I won't lie the little wrestling lover in me was crushed. What do you mean all the moves are choregraphed, and the outcome is predetermined? How could this be? How could Vince McMahon do that?  But, I kept on watching. And, it wasn't the least bit disappointing. Those WWE people know how to write some stories lines. I am well aware that reality television is nothing it claims to be. The days of the true reality television are long gone. People on these reality television shows all know their role, their story line, and set up. And, many are using the show to be famous. I am well aware that producers stage shots. It is anything but reality. And, I know for the Kardashians their show is one long promotion of themselves.

Remember the "Real World" when it first came out? It was reality television at it's finest. You really got to see seven people picked to live in a apartment and really saw what happens when people stop being polite. The early seasons of the Kardashians were a lot like that. If you go back and watch it was the Kardashians in their truest form. Kim is struggling to be noticed by Hollywood, and her sisters are a bit envious that their sister is getting all their mom's attention. Before the baller husbands, the endorsement deals, the books, and fame.. it was just about a wealthy California family trying to noticed in Hollywood. It was entertaining to watch. Khloe with her insecurity issues, Kim with her hunger for fame, and Kourtney struggling with her loser boyfriend. Over the seasons you see what fame and spotlight does to even the wealthiest of families, how it tears at the self esteem, and at times makes you ditch your true self. I am not saying this is the writing of Oscar worthy drama but for a second there it sure was real.

And, now I have to suspend my disbelief a little more to enjoy it...just like those days when I watched the wrestling matches for the first time with new eyes. And, ya know what I think it will still be entertaining. It's my modern day Young & the Restless... It may not be completely real, but who says entertainment is supposed to be that anyway. Here's to Kim and Kourtney Take New York.. I'll be watching

No comments:

Post a Comment