Wednesday, March 8, 2017

#WomenWhoSlay: My Little Miss Sunshine

#WomenWhoSlay: My Little Miss Sunshine

On Wednesdays, I like to profile amazing women on my blog. Today I want to feature one of the strongest, sweetest, enduring, funny, beautiful, and courageous women I know; my very own "Little Miss Sunshine." There are not enough positive adjectives to describe how I feel about this woman or enough pages to measure the love I feel for her. Instead, I will write this little blog about how God brought me my very own "Little Miss Sunshine" and in turn taught me so many things about grace, healing, forgiveness, and friendship.

When I was a television reporter, I loved starting my morning off with a strong cup of joe. Most mornings I brewed my own, but on occasion I had the money and the time to pay for a special bold blend from my favorite coffee shop. I knew it was kind of a waste of money to be paying so much money on a cup of bold roast that I could easily make at home. But, it was more than just how amazing the bold roast tasted from this place. I loved the coziness of the cafe area, the selection of pastries, and most importantly the super nice baristas. 

Not every barista was super friendly. Sometimes I could feel their exhaustion from mean customers and a busy morning rush. But, there was always on barista who without a doubt was ALWAYS a ray of sunshine. Her bright smile and sweet hello always made me feel welcome. She'd often rub my hand when I placed the money down on the counter to pay. A pat that somehow symbolized, "Thank you for spending your hard earned money on this over priced cup of joe." After a while I started to call her 'Little Miss Sunshine' in my head every time I saw her. I remember the days I'd come in to the coffee shop and ask myself, "Is 'Little Miss Sunshine here? Damn it, she isn't." When Little Miss Sunshine was behind the counter I knew my drink would always be made right, I'd get that beautiful warm smile, a good greeting, and a warm feeling of acceptance. I never asked her name or offered anything about my self to her, I just loved her energy.

That was the extent of my relationship with 'Little Miss Sunshine' for almost two years. Seasons changed, and times passed. Then one day I saw "Little Miss Sunshine" out in real life, outside of the coffee shop, and something in me couldn't resist introducing myself. We were at Ulta, and "Little Miss Sunshine" was gazing at a display of eyeliners. I placed my hand on her shoulder, and went in for the hello.

"Hey aren't you that lady from the coffee shop," I said eagerly. 'Little Miss Sunshine' jumped, and turned towards me with a surprised look on her face.

"It's me. I come to your coffee shop all the time." Of the hundreds of people she sees all day I'm not sure why I expected her to remember me.

"Oh, yeah?," she said somewhat nervously.

"I just wanted to tell you I always enjoy when you're at the cafe. You always make me feel so special." She smiled. For thirty minutes we walked around the store discussing our love of certain makeup brands, and the sales. It should have ended there, but 'Little Miss Sunshine' didn't want the moment to end.

"Hey, you hungry? I'd starving. Let's get lunch!" At the moment 'Little Miss Sunshine did not know I was homeless, sleeping under a desk in my office, and broke. She also didn't know if I was a serial killer. We went to Jason's Deli and she graciously paid. Over the course of two hours 'Little Miss Sunshine' revealed to me one of the most heartbreaking stories I've heard about her life. She literally faced death in the face, lost her entire world in an instant, and yet you'd never know by meeting her. We cried, laughed, and spoke about the journeys we were both taking in our faiths. Next we to Virginia Beach Town Center ( a swanky area with restaurants, boutiques, and stores in Virginia Beach, VA). Then we shopping for feminine products, and finished the night with bad fast food.

I met 'Little Miss Sunshine' in a season of abandonment and loneliness. Her comfort, her laughs, her kind ability to listen made me feel so loved. It was the kind of love I wanted from my own mother at the moment, but couldn't get. As a woman of faith, I feel God knew I needed a woman like 'Little Miss Sunshine'.

Thank you 'Little Miss Sunshine' for teaching me how healing and fulfilling friendship can be. Thanks for letting me tag along on your Lynchburg trip, all those afternoon at Golden Corral, and loving me when I didn't think anyone else could I adore you.



No comments:

Post a Comment