Monday, October 30, 2017

The Power of Telling Your Story: The CBS Story on my Journey

For seven minutes, I watched the depression, trauma, heart ache, homelessness, and despair that I’ve lived the past three years. I don’t know if I can describe what those minutes felt like. I was a television reporter for most of my twenties, but it was surreal seeing my own personal story on-air. I never thought what the subjects of my interviews felt about seeing their stories on-air. I always wanted to get their stories right, but I never thought about the effect it would have on them. That changed Monday, October 23, 2017 when my own personal story aired on CSB 6 in Richmond, Virginia.

It all started on July evening, when I was sharing my story on Facebook live.
For the past year I have shared my journey on Facebook. The good, the bad, the ugly you name it I shared it. Doing so connected me to so many other people struggling with their mental illness, introduced me to new friendships, and opened the door for support.

On that July evening, a television reporter I knew joined my Facebook live. At the time I was sharing with everyone how I grateful I was to be coming out of my season of homelessness. When the Facebook live was over, the reporter connected with me and I shared my story even further. She expressed that she wished she had known how I was struggling. She wished I would have reached out. But, in the clutches of depression I felt nothing or no one could help me. A few weeks later, the television reporter, Shelby Brown, asked if I would share my story on-air for Depression Awareness Month. I immediately said, “Yes.” Not because I wanted my 15 minutes in the spotlight. I did it because of something God spoke into my heart a year ago about sharing my story.

As I was coming out of my depression a year ago, I reconnected with my spirituality and I began to hear God speak to me in supernatural ways. One of the many things I heard from Him was that sharing my story would set me free, and remove the shackles of shame for so many others. I never knew how God was going to bring that promise to pass, but when Shelby asked to share my story I knew then it was just as God said.


When Shelby came down to shoot the story in August, I was nervous. While I knew this was part of God’s plan I was scared. I was worried people wouldn’t understand, but I pressed forward. When Shelby arrived and I saw who her photographer was and all my worries faded away. Shelby’s photographer, Dwight Nixon, was someone I had worked with at a previous television station when I was beginning my career. I remember seeing him and crying. I felt so safe and secure that the two of them were going to treat my story with care. Shelby and Dwight went to the Wal-mart parking lot where I slept some nights in the winter, the church shelter I found refuge, and then attended one of my speeches on suicide prevention.

I stayed up to watch the story air on live stream. The first 3 minutes took my breath away. I sat there watching and listening how my life fell apart; from upcoming television star to homeless, depressed vagabond. I can’t believe this was my life. I wanted to so bad to reach through the screen, press some magical button in life that rewind the past few years; take back the decision to leave WAVY News 10, get help sooner, leave the toxic love triangle I was in speak up more. But, life doesn’t work that way. I can only look back on where I was, and keep being thankful for where I’m headed. The story also shared with viewers how I am using my painful past to help others as a mental health advocate and speaker. I share my story with as many people who will listen. I speak in front of crowds. I share on YouTube, and each time I speak I feel a sense of healing about my past.

The second part of the story described the Christian couple who took me in their home, and gave me the kind of spiritual rest my soul could not find in a shelter. They opened their home to me, share their food, supported me, and reminded me once again how God brings His children together to help one another. They remind me that God makes it so I am never alone in this journey called life. Many thanks to Pat and Wayne. I was basically a stranger to them and they trusted me in their home. They came into my life just as the shelter program was closing and I was unsure of where I would rest my head. There are no words to describe how thankful I am for both of them.

After the story, I just cried tears of sadness, regret, joy, and gratitude. I know that is a lot of emotions, but that’s what I felt. That story reminded me of how God told me sharing my story would free me. When it was over I wiped my eyes, and exhaled. God whispered, “You are free! The truth will set you free.” That story empowered me to keep singing my song of victory over depression, suicide, and homelessness. My story has value. That was reinforced by all the people who messaged me personally to applaud me for sharing my story. They shared their own bouts of depression with me, and told me how my story inspired them to keep moving forward.



My hope is that CBS6 story is only the beginning. I have big dreams as a mental health advocate, business owner, writer, and motivational speaker. I pray God takes my like voice nationwide to encourage people that they can live through tough times, depression, mental illness, suicide, and homelessness. I want to be a ray of hope for those feeling in darkness. I am currently writing my first memoir about the last three years of my life, and I hope it serves as a platform to go on a book tour. I am expanding my audience and I feel destined to take this message of hope to as many people as I can. If you are interested in booking email teamgoodgirl84@gmail.com or comment on the page below.

I come to inspire, motivate, educate, and cultivate hope!

This road to the new me would not be possible without so many people. I am constantly thankful for all the beautiful people God sent to feed, shelter, love, encourage me.

No comments:

Post a Comment