Sunday, January 14, 2018

The Daniel Fast: An Emotional Purge


The Daniel Fast is based off the story of Daniel in the Bible. In captivity under the king, Daniel refused to eat the King’s food. The king's food that had been submitted to false god.
Instead Daniel, ate from pulse meaning things that originated from seeds; fruits and vegetables. After 10 days Daniel, 
and his friends who followed the fast were the strongest warriors of all the men the king had captivity.

Later in the story of Daniel God gives him the power to interpret dreams. It is this gift that gives Daniel 
favor with the king. (Check out Daniel 1:2 for this story)

I find it interesting that after a week into my Daniel Fast I 
found myself in the clutches of intense dreams.
Some were nightmares others were magical, pleasant dreams. After, discussing the dreams with my therapist it 
became clear the nightmares were my minds way of 
dealing with family trauma, hurt, and abandonment. I had tucked away these feelings under my emotional rug sso to speak. And, with good reason. There is no way I could have survived being homeless, being depressed, feeling alone, and fighting to live a life of normalcy if I had confronted these feelings then. During my fast I have not only removed certain foods from my life, I have 
removed certain distractions. Instead of going to Facebook first thing in the morning I spend time with the Lord; writing my feelings, calling His name in prayer, and listening to a sermon on 
YouTube to focus on thinking. 

Without all these distractions I’ve had time to really deal with the demons of my past. And, 
let me tell you it has not been easy. There have been nights of crying, pleading with God for 
release from the painof the past, and silence.

I wonder if this is common during a fasting time. In the Bible several prophets and figures in the 
word fast before big decisions. I think of the story of Esther. How her friend asked her to go before
the king and make a request. She was afraid and uncertain. But, she took some time of fasting 
before she made her decision. Ultimately she goes to the King, and has favor. My fast has shown me more than anything that I need to focus on my own walk more, and in order to truly be set free I have to let go of the pain of the past.
This is my first grocery trip on the Daniel Fast


THE FOOD - I also wanted to share some pictures from the food I've been eating during my Daniel Fast. I am in love with smoothies which consists of almond milk, strawberries, flax seed, and bananas. I am also learning to snack better on apples, bananas, and watermelon. These are good healthy habits I plan to keep after the Daniel fast. I am so proud of the discipline I've been able to have concerning food. I am down seven pounds and learning to face my feelings instead of eating them.

Oats, cinnamon, and apples


No comments:

Post a Comment