Thursday, October 11, 2018

Throwback Blog About Friendship: The Girls


The Girls

“I’ve always wanted four girlfriends to chat with like on Sex & the City, says Lila, and I realized I have you all.” Lila raises her margarita glass in honor of her closet female friends. 

The show Sex & the City has changed the way women view themselves. The show empowered women through their sexuality and tight friendships, shot off sexual double standards, and gave women across the nation the power to control their own sexual destinies. The most intricate part of the show is the role of friendship in each character’s life. Four 30-something women grapple with men and relationships in the heart of New York City. When love had knocked the women off their stylish Manolo Blahniks, their strong friendships gave them the strength to try again. As a viewer of the show, it was entertaining to watch but, my mind couldn’t grasp the magnitude of thirty-something women finding peace and comfort in each other. But one night with a group of females that simply call themselves ” The Girls” and I understood all too clearly the power of good conversation over cosmos and pancakes.

                Tonight the girls are talking about everything from men, movies, good food, love, and of course sex. Each woman brings something completely different and insightful to the conversation.

Kat, the sweet, mature beyond her years, female speaks of changes in her love life. She is welcomed by the comfort of her supportive friends who assure her confidence in love.

Kristen, the informed, undecided psychologist, analyzes the romantic lives of “The Girls.” Even with all her knowledge of sex and psychology even she’s nervous to take the first move with her new beau.
Christina is the host for the night and provider of life experience. She teaches the younger girls about men and blending good drinks with just the right amount of Sky Vodka.

Alyssa, the intellectual scholar of the group, keeps everyone informed about foreign affairs, but is just as clueless as the rest when it comes to the complex mind of men.   

Lila, the honest but gentle friend, has a life story full of comedic turns for every situation you can imagine. Her ability to make you laugh at almost anything puts a positive light on even the toughest of subjects.
 I, the newcomer with nervousness that’s hard to hide, observe “The Girls” blend margaritas.



My nervousness overwhelmed my usually bubbly personality. I wasn’t sure of my place in this all ready complete sisterhood. As the night waned on laughter filled the room so many times my nervousness had no place to fit. “The Girls” listened attentively about my insecurities with love, life, sex, men, everything. I felt as though I was singing my life story of insecurity and mishaps in love, to an audience of supportive fans. Instead of judging me, “The Girls” gave me a mirror to which I could see myself clearly, a reflection that surprisingly seemed everything but weird. I felt so secure and normal in all my worries and insecurities.

After a few pancakes, a vanilla coke, and shared work stories, I left the dinner feeling revived, energized, and accepted. Finally, I understood the warmth of sisterhood.

Now when I watch reruns of Sex & the City my heart will smile in remembrance of the night with “The Girls.” I understand how four women can find soul mates in each other, the therapy of a girl’s nights, and the relaxation of a cosmopolitan. Sex & the City did more than teach women about their sexuality, how to own it and control it, the women of New York taught all of us how to gain strength in each other again.  Alyssa, Kristen, Kat, Lila and Christina showed me that when everything was wrong your girls could make it right. I will never forget them for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment