Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Truth About Me: The Face of Homelessness: Part Two


The Face of Homelessness



They say, “What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger.” Well I’m about to burst out of this season of homelessness like a roaring lion. And, when I do I plan to live differently. One of the main ways I want to live different is helping my brother man if I can. There are so many nights when all I want is for someone to listen to me, comfort me, hug me, feed me a meal, and treat me like a human. I am blessed to say I met some incredible people strangers, people I met at bars, new Christians, and Buddhists who have done that for me without asking anything in return. Sadly, there wer many nights I walked the streets and met so many who had no one to call. A mother stopped me in the Wawa parking lot one night, and asked for a ride to church providing her shelter. I had two dollars, a stick of gum, and enough gas to get me to my office. It broke my heart to say no. I passed by veterans on the side of the road just begging for a chance to work. A gay man told me his family kicked him out when they learned his orientation. All he wanted was a few dollars for something to eat. It broke my heart that I couldn’t give. In the hospital I met women who were selling their bodies for sex to ruthless pimps. I could go on forever about my homeless, broken, hurt, angry, and tragic people I’ve met in my season of homelessness.

It is humbling me everyday. It is making me thankful for what I have, and it is pushing me harder to make my own way.






No comments:

Post a Comment