Monday, September 19, 2016

#MakeupMondays: How Lolo Slays For Less

#MakeUpMonday: How Lolo Slays For Less

A love affair with makeup can be quite costly. Mascaras for 20 bucks, eye palettes for 50, it can all add up.  When I was a television reporter, I dreaded buying makeup because it was so expensive. And, in the early days of my career it definitely showed that I did not invest in good skin care or good makeup. Why didn’t
My early television days makeup.
someone lead me to some good coupons, Ulta, or a good makeup artist? Full disclosure the television stations I worked for did pitch in for makeup consultants, but honestly I rarely retained anything those lovely ladies said about makeup. And, when you're reporting in a snow storm, hurricane winds, or a blistering hot day the last thing you think about is your foundation holding. (At least I didn't)


 As a self-proclaimed #makeupfiend I’ve learned how to slay in rouge, color, and foundation for less and I want to share.
I’m all about a good deal so below are the ways I buy glam, name makeup for less.


-Shop the Sales:  You’ll save tons of loot if you surf sales before you jet out for some makeup.  I’ve found some amazing deals, percentage off, and free shipping by going directly to makeup company websites. I fell in love with Tarte this summer so I signed up for their mailing list. I got 15% off just for signing up for their email subscription list. 

Ulta (my makeup heaven) also offers additional savings online and
free gifts with purchase. It’s usually a free gift with a $50 purchase. But, I have to tell you those gifts slay. I’ve gotten to try out so many fun products this way. If you shop at a particular makeup store a lot consider signing up for the store’s app, Ulta has a great one where I can view all my points. The more you shop at Ulta the more points you get which adds up to money off. Can you tell I love Ulta? I don’t shop at Sephora as much, but I have learned they are the kings of samples. If you are interested in product but not quite sure ask the makeup associate for a sample. Most will comply, MOST!

-Make Friends with a Makeup Artist –  What girl doesn’t like to shop? Well make that shopping experience work for you. If you go to a particular makeup store often get to know the associates and their specialties. I am always cruising Sephora and Ulta to learn new makeup tricks. Here are two of my favorite makeup associates from Ulta and Sephora. I'll use their Instagram handles so you can go show them some love too.

I heart @facebyjayvee because she always gives it to me straight. She will tell me if a color is working for me or if I need to stop the madness. She has taught me the beauty of eyebrow liner (I’m buying the Benefits Ka-Brow girl) and a good foundation. Her makeup is always on fleek and she is super motivating to every customers she encounters. She lets me know about upcoming sales and how to get the most out of makeup. Love you doll!


I adore @indiecency because he’s amazing. Seriously, I love his spirit, his laugh, and his way of making every woman feel special.

It’s truly a gift. I wrote about this #finefella in a previous #makeupmonday post. The only reason I shop at Sephora now is because of @indiecency. I told him about some bad experiences I had at other Sephoras and he promised to do right by me. He suggested the perfect colors for my skin tone and even showed me how to apply it. Learning how to apply makeup the right way actually saves you a lot of product. (more on that later) Also @indiecency is so comfortable in his skin it motivates me to be comfortable in mine. I could literally write a novel about his vibrant personality, but we’d be here all day. I love you, you #finefella you.


-Coupons, Coupons, Coupons – Girl clip those coupons. You’ll be amazed the dough you can save with coupons. I search in the Sunday paper for makeup coupon and online. There are tons of places to find savings. I also subscribe to coupon bloggers. YASSS HUNTY they exist. This lovely angels gather all the cool coupons and post them in one place for you. I love a new app called ‘Retail Me Not’ , I also use the $3.50 off coupon at Ulta like it’s going out of style. (You can’t use it on the fancy name brands like Urban Decay, but you can use it on drugstore brands like Maybeline, Covergirl, and Revlon.

Also don’t sleep on CVS Pharmacy. I’ve received tons of great beauty coupons from there. If you use your CVS card when you buy makeup it tracks your beauty buys and sends you coupons based on your purchases. COOL Right? I love it. I love NYX Cosmetics so I get tons of coupons from CVS for NYX.
 I always ask the sales associate if I can use a certain coupon before I get to the register to save myself from embarrassment later.


-Learn Proper Product Use – When I was in television I would lather
The first MAC makeup brush I bought as a reporter.
foundation on my face because I was desperate for it to last me through several live shots. I was always running through foundation and powder.  Little did I know primer and toner would have gone a long way.  I used neither in my television days. Now that I use these beauty must haves my foundations last much longer, and I’ve learned that a little dab will do you when it comes to applying foundation.

That time a makeup consultant did my face for tv.
I was never able to replicate this look again.
-YouTube It Boo – Youtube has taught me so much about applying makeup especially eyeshadow. But, honestly YouTube has taught me how to save money with makeup. For example Kylie Jenner lip kits are all the rave right? Well we all know Lolo has limited funds, but I was going to scrap up the little money I had to buy a lip kit…. That was until I watched the YouTube reviews. Absolutely not. Makeup YouTubers complained about late shipping, containers not being full, and faulty product. With that in mind I put my limited funds away and continued to slay with Nyx Cosmetics matte lip cream which is just as good if not better than Kylie Jenner. That is just one example. So if you’re unsure about a certain beauty purchase YouTube it and see what the experts are saying. 

I love this chick so much. She has a bit of a potty mouth (which I love) but she gives it to you straight.

Remember makeup is supposed to enhance your beauty not define it. Have fun doll.

By the way did you all see my new Good Girl Chronicles logo. Made by App Daddy



No comments:

Post a Comment