Wednesday, September 5, 2018

#SuicidePreventionMonth: How Hosting A Film About Suicide Inspired Me

September is Suicide Prevention Month. It is very important to me because I am a suicide attempt survivor. This month I will post a blog each week about Suicide Prevention or mental health. This week I’d like to talk about how hosting the screening of Kevin Hine’s film ‘Suicide: The Ripple Effect’ changed my business dreams, and taught me something about faith.

Last year at a suicide prevention conference a vendor asked me if I had ever heard of Kevin Hines, a man who attempted suicide off the Golden Gate Bridge and somehow survived. I had only been sharing my story of surviving suicide for a few months so I didn’t know of a lot of famous speakers or mental health advocates.

The vendor had a few copies of Kevin Hines’ memoir ‘Cracked Not, Broken’ on her table. I remember picking it and promising I’d put it on my list of books to read.

“You know what take it,” the vendor said. “I have a feeling you need to read it.”

When I finally read Kevin’s book, I could not put it down. I was captivated at the raw, real look of living
 with Bipolar Disorder (which is Kevin’s diagnosis) with auditory hallucinations. I was also drawn into the effect Kevin’s suicide attempt had on his family, particularly his father and the uncle he was named after. It made me consider for a moment the other people affected by my mental health crisis; the friends I pushed away, my helpless parents, my siblings, tv viewers who saw me disappear. Reading how Kevin used his story to start encouraging young people to choose life, and get help inspired me. It motivated me to keep sharing my story and showed me once again the power of speaking your truth. It has the ability to save lives.

When I heard Kevin had created a movie about his journey called ‘Suicide: The Ripple Effect’ I immediately wanted to see it. Kevin’s movie is being shown through a company called Gathr and people have to host a screening for it to come to a certain city. The host captains must market the movie, and sell a minimum number of tickets in order for the screening to come to the area. I had just missed a recent screening in Norfolk. Something crazy crossed my mind, maybe I could host a screening. I thought to myself, I have a small business Facebook page with like 300 followers I’ll use that to promote it.

Then I got scared.

My business Good Girl Chronicles started in 2016, and I’ve failed a lot since then. I’ve held many events where only two people came. Once I bought $150 dollars worth of pastries and coffee for an event  then had nothing to show for it but cute pictures. How could I host a movie screening, get 67 people to RSVP in advance, and then then pay $10 for it?

And, so I prayed. As God often does He answered by reminding me of a certain scripture. I remembered Joshua 1:9 “Have I not commanded you to be bold, and courageous….” God commands Joshua to step out on felt. Then I felt God say, “I can not bless what you do not step out on.” This was God urging me to be bold and courageous. You’re right God, I’ll never know if I can bring Kevin’s movie to Hampton Roads if I don’t ever try. This is where the boldness and courage come in.

So I went for it. I posted on social media, I created flyers, I sent press releases. And, like God said He blessed what I stepped out on. I was called in for an interview on a local lifestyle show called Coast Live, my flyers were shared dozens of times on social media, and by the night of the screening over 90 bought tickets to see the movie. The movie was powerful, sad, real, and relevant. So many people took an interest in suicide prevention training afterwards and shared heartbreaking experiences of suicide loss.

My interview with April Woodard from Coast Live


I hosted a second screening of Kevin’s movie in Lynchburg, Virginia 3 months later. This showing was even more important for me. Many of the attendants had seen me on television as a reporter, years before my suicide attempt. Before the movie showed I shared with them my personal struggle with mental illness, the suicide attempts, and what hosting Kevin’s movie meant to me. It felt incredible to share my truth with my former television viewers. It bonded us in a way my television career never had. Many of the people in the audience had lost someone to suicide or had survived an attempt themselves.

And, something unexpected happened The Ripple Effect film breathed new life to my once fledging storytelling business Good Girl Chronicles LLC. Since the screening I’ve dove into my business again. The success of the screenings has given me the confidence to start pursuing motivational speaking and consulting as a full time gig. I am working on going to graduate school in the spring for Strategic Communications and I’m hosting my own events.

Mentally Kevin’s movie reminded me again that suicide is never the answer to someone’s pain, everyone’s life is worth fighting for, and recovery is possible.

Thank you Kevin for boldly sharing your story and inspiring me to keep sharing mine. I hope I can meet you personally one day and thank you for your amazing work as a mental health advocate. We are the healthiest social media family in the game. Mental health recovery is a choice I make daily, because my happiness and health is worth it.

To learn more about Kevin Hines, his story, and advocacy go to www.kevinhinesstory.com or www.suicidetherippleeffect.com to host a screening in your area.

If you need someone to talk to or are struggling please reach out for help. The Suicide Prevention Lifeline is open 24/7

No comments:

Post a Comment