Thursday, February 22, 2018

#MentalHealthMonday: The Power of Advocacy

My First Advocacy Efforts

I don’t think the average Joe realizes how accessible their local legislators actually are. I know I sure didn’t. When I was a television reporter I expected for local delegates and senators to make time for my interviews. But, did you know they are even more accountable to you, the voting public? This month I had two incredible opportunities to meet with local legislators to advocate for more mental health services in Virginia and I was in awe of how easy it was to connect with legislators.

My first opportunity came through the National Alliance on Mental Illness or NAMI. NAMI is a one of the largest mental health non-profits in the country. One of their many duties is encouraging legislators to create better laws and services for people with mental illness. Me and about a dozen other NAMI members traveled to Richmond to meet with legislators on Mental Health Advocacy Day. In groups of 5 to 10 we met with legislators and discussed current bills NAMI is passionate about. Many NAMI members shared their personal stories about the need for more supportive housing, and Medicaid expansion. I never imagined advocating would make an impact, but every person we met with seemed genuinely interested in hearing about our stories and how current legislation would effect us. AND —>I was super fortunate to Richmond television station CSB 6 there to chronicle my journey. They profiled my journey for Depression Awareness Month last year. This follow up also shed a light on mental health advocacy which is a topic that doesn’t always get television coverage.


I also received a scholarship to attend an advocacy retreat with Mental Health America of Virginia this month. For two days, I learned effective ways to communicate with legislators and the power of advocacy. The retreat was located at a lovely former monastery in Richmond called the Roslyn Center. It is tucked away off Richmond Road in the West End. It was a nice, getaway from the hustle and bustle of life.
Picture of all the NAMI advocates at the Captiol

On the third day of the retreat, we traveled to the Capitol to meet with legislators. The highlight of my visit was meeting Senator Creigh Deeds. I have wanted to meet Creigh Deeds since I heard about his son’s tragic suicide years ago. Since then Senator Deeds has become a vocal, and passionate champion of mental health policy. I didn’t expect that I would get to meet Senator Deeds directly since the General Assembly is currently in session and legislators are busy. But, to my surprise Senator Deeds was in and gave me his undivided attention. I shared a bit of my story with him about surviving suicide, the lack of services when I was homeless, and how difficult life is with limited insurance. He listened, and offered me hope. Senator Deeds says he confident Medicaid expansion will happen soon and discussed the efforts many legislators are making to improve the quality of life for people with mental illness. I legitimately felt heard and understood. 
Senator Creigh Deed introducing NAMI
The experience was so rewarding I plan to participate in advocacy again next year. Maybe one day I’ll make my way to D.C. and speak to congress about the important of mental health services like a role model of mine Demi Lovato. Here’s hoping. 
Another cool thing I bumped into a famous actor. What is so funny is that I saw him sit down and I thought to myself, "That guy looks like a famous actor I've seen in movies." So I went over to him an said, "You must get this a lot but you look a lot like this famous actor." He replied, "Well I wouldn't say I'm that famous." Thanks for being ind Beau Bridges and letting me snap this photo.






No comments:

Post a Comment