Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Life After Depression: Finding Comfort in the Word

I am up early this morning because I hibernated the night before. It's been an intense few weeks. I opened my business, started sharing my battle with depression openly, I've started dating City Hall, and I'm learning who my real ride or die friends are. I find now when I lay my head to sleep I don't even need a sleeping pill to doze off. My body craves the rest. However, I honestly feel God wake me up before my alarm clock just about everyday. And, when He does  it usually means there is something on my heart I need to write and release. Today is one of those days. I woke up and watched a segment of Joel Osteen. I have them saved on my parents DVR. Today's message was about the joy you can have in life when you have Jesus in your heart.

Joel Osteen Made the Word Plain

I know how people feel about Joel Osteen. They say he is too happy, too optimistic, and he isn't really a Pastor. I don't know about all those things. I do know that in times of my deepest despair something about the way he delivered the word brought me comfort, and understanding. This morning he spoke about the story of the woman at the well in the book of John. I know this story well because I always find myself re-reading it. If I understand right the book of John is where Jesus is quoted the most, it's why people quote from the book so much. I could be wrong but I was told this from someone who knows the word better than me. Anyway, back to the woman at the well. Basically Jesus goes to this well and sees a woman. He asks her to draw water from the well and she can't. Back in those days people of different domination or cultures could not really be associated with each other and plus she was a single woman. Jesus was a Jew and she was a Samaritan. Again I did not go to seminary so this is a very basic explanation of this story, I challenge you to read it.

The woman at the well says basically Jesus I can't draw water from this well for you. Jesus says, I know of a well you can drink from where you can never go thirsty. The woman is taken back. How does a well like this exist? What she didn't know was that Jesus was talking of his living water, God's love and grace. Then Jesus says and this is how I know our Father has a sense of humor. Jesus says, "Go get your husband to draw from the well."

She says, "I have no husband."

Jesus replies, "I know you have had five."

BOOM! How explosive was that reply. A lot of people would have been like who does this guy think He is? But, she takes it. She realizes that this man knows her, her intimate secrets, her mistakes, and yet he still offers her a living water that never runs dry. HOW PURE IS THAT LOVE? I could go on and on about this story because it speaks to me so much but I really challenge you to read it. It is John Chapter 4. Well Joel quoted that story today in a sermon about joy. And it made me smile because I've been studying the book of John since I've been in recovery from my depression. It's like God wanted me to remember that story this morning.

I believe God can use even the most broken people to speak to his children. And, Joel Osteen is not perfect but on the days I don't make time for the bible I do get the word through Joel. He also has an amazing testimony in my opinion. Did you know Joel never wanted to Pastor Lakewood Church? In fact, he wanted to work in television production, work behind the scenes. Yet, when His father died He felt God called him to lead the church. Did you know Joel's mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer more than 30 years ago. DID YOU SEE WHAT I WROTE 30 YEARS AGO. She isn't supposed to be here y'all. That was not God's plan for her. Joel always says God can trump any medical report. I do also know that sometimes God does call his children home way too soon in our books. My Aunt Doris died of breast cancer and she was so young, and had so much more life to live. I am sad about that, but I know she lives in a heaven with many rooms. I've seen her there. God has brought us together in my dreams and we've talked. She is ok and for some reasons she is caring for two small children in a country home. I don't know who they are but maybe God called Aunt Doris to heaven to care for those two kids. Ahh I can't cry this morning.


Mr. Optimism: The Man Who Taught Me to Love the Word Again

I write this to say that God brings all types of people in our lives at certain moments to help us. For me it was Joel Osteen and a friend I'll call Mr. Optimism. I call him that because when we worked together for almost two years and I don't think I ever heard him swear, get angry, or lose his cool. What an awesome guy. I can't say I was that together when I was in television news. When we worked together at WAVY he always made me feel calm. No matter the story, the weather, or the circumstances I knew if I was with Mr. Optimism it was going to be a good day. I truly believe this is how God wants people to feel around His children. He wants us to be a beacon of hope for others.

Mr. Optimism would always tell me, "Lauren when are you going to stop working for these men and work for God? That is who you work hard for, write well for, and worship. Not this brick and mortar station that won't save your soul."

That was heavy eh? But I knew he was right. I just couldn't see that. I thought I had to lose sleep, give up personal time, swallow my hurt and depression to survive on television news. Some people still believe this.But, as a woman who lives with depression these were all unhealthy practices. Hell it's unhealthy for people with a clear mind. And, when the depression became unbearable and I left the television business it's kind of fitting that I turned to Mr. Optimism seeking help. He had left the business to travel the world sharing God's love. I didn't know where he was but I still had his number and THANK GOD it worked. Oh geez I'm going to cry. This man listened as I shared with him my suicide attempts, my feelings of loneliness, my troubles with my family, the pain I experienced seeing the worse of people as a reporter. He listened. He never interrupted, he never rose his voice over me. He just listened and it was so comforting. He came into my life the first month of my recovery, and I know God sent him to teach me how to love the word again. With my pain he responded with a scripture I never knew Jeremiah 31:4 "I will rebuild you and you will dance again." 

When I felt God would never forgive me for my past Mr. Optimism quoted Isaiah 61:3 "God will give you beauty for your ashes." Oh these tears this morning. Father thank you for sending that man at just the right time. He listened when a fight with my parents lead to a panic attack. I packed some clothes, and ran out the door. I could not reach my therapist or any friend but Mr. Optimism picked up. And for almost 30 minutes I cried and ranted. about the pain in my family, my weakness and despair. He comforted me with the word then too. He urged me to study the book of John. I did not need an anti-anxiety drug that day Mr. Optimism's words and direction comforted me.

"The Bible is a marathon not a race. It is your daily bread. Take your time reading it. If you only have a few minutes or  read a few lines. That is ok. You will find comfort there," he said. 

And he was so right.I have never--- I MEAN NEVER felt so much love in the word. I've been a Christian my whole life but this time I became a believer, a woman of faith, a student of the word. And, this Mr. Optimism lead the way. After a while I didn't need to call him as much, and in moment of hardship I remembered those scriptures he quoted, and then I began seeking the Lord for myself. That is what a good friend does. They comfort you, they listen, they sharpen you, and then guide you back to the one who gives the ULTIMATE COMFORT AND LOVE OUR FATHER GOD, 
The post-its hung around my room. I stole this from a show
called 'Being Mary Jane'

Now like Mr. Optimism said I am finding ways to get the word everyday. It is my daily bread. God will use broken people, co-workers, friends, PEOPLE to heal his children. And, that is what Mr. Optimism did for me. This is only a portion of what this man has done for me. We live thousands of miles apart but I consider him a dear friend. Thank you Father for bringing him back into my life so I could get closer to you. You know how much I've needed your Father to stay afloat. In Jesus name I pray Amen.
A song of comfort. In this song he says, "He met me in the depths of my despair to show me he wouldn't keep me there." THIS IS GOD'S LOVE AND GRACE

Love You, Love God More

Lauren Hope

My writing face morning

No comments:

Post a Comment