Thursday, February 18, 2016

Five things I love about Lynchburg

In my heart I will always be a Virginia Beach girl. My family has lived in Hampton Roads since I was a fifth grader and there some things about the community I will always love; the ocean, the festivals, the atmosphere. It was in the seven cities that I grew to appreciate our military and government. And, as a Navy Brat, I understood all too well the sacrifices a military family makes. Virginia Beach also allowed me to acquire a great mixture of friends; Filipino, Caucasian, Black, Asian. And, each of my friends have helped me appreciate the beauty in diversity. Even with the traffic and tunnel congestion so heavy something you can literally spend hours in your car waiting, I love Hampton Roads.

 I lived in the Hill City from 2009 to 2012. Lynchburg is not Hampton Roads, but I’ve learned there are some things in the Hill City you just can’t find anywhere else.



 1.)    Southern Hospitality – Now I was born in Mississippi so I know a thing or two about southern hospitality, and here in Lynchburg it’s a part of everyday life. I love how cordial and welcoming people are within minutes of meeting you. It seems people are genuinely interested in hearing about your life, your hard day, or your faith. I’ve had the most interesting conversations with people around town. When I lived in Richmond these kind of stop and chat treatments were not only rare, but not advised. You’re taught to be defensive when you live in a city like Richmond. But, here in Lynchburg just about everywhere go you meet someone who is willing and able to offer their support.

Picture taken by Caitlin Candler 

2.)    Community Support-  This maybe a extension of the first mention, but citizens in Central Virginia give like no other. When the tragedies in Haiti and Chile hit the news immediately people ask to help. It was humbling to see people so willing to offer their time and money to help. As a reporter in Lynchburg I reported on  several college students in the viewing giving their time to great causes. It’s amazing how active Lynchburg College students are in saving the environment.  It’s taught me that even when you don’t think you have much you can always help someone in need.


3.)    The Great Outdoors- In Virginia Beach seeing a deer crossing the road would have certainly been a treat. The few times I did see one I’d slow down my car to take a close peek. Here in Lynchburg I see deer all the time behind my house, just eating grass, unafraid of my presence. And, Lynchburg’s natural beauty is remarkable. From the Blue Ridge Parkway to the several scenic mountains, there’s plenty of places to see the best Mother Nature has to offer.

Garlic Festival with friends


4.)    Festivals – When I was the weekend reporter in Lynchburg I covered a lot of festivals, It seemed like there was one every weekend.  The festivals celebrates a wide range of interest and history: Native American History festivals, wine festivals galore, Chili Cook off festivals, and that is just to name a few. Who says there’s nothing to do in Lynchburg?  You can also meet all different types of people and even better a lot of these festivals have great food. 

5.)    An Opportunity -  And, of course I love the Hill City for welcoming me onto the reporting scene. Almost everywhere I go people offer encouraging words on my work and it pushes me to work even harder. I’m so blessed to have lived in such a great city and do a job I love. I leave you with one of my most popular stories in Lynchburg about a woman who passion is eating rocks. You have to see it to believe it.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment