Wednesday, July 27, 2016

#WomenWhoSlayWednesday: Women of Greenbrier Mall, Women Who Are Lifters

In this new journey of life I've been fortunate to meet some amazing women. I have serious trust issues with women. I didn't discover that until a new friend said, "Lauren why do you always think I'm trying to get over on you?"

I thought for a second. At first I wasn't really sure, then I thought harder. Oh yea, that's right cause some of my closest friends have thrown the most harmful daggers. I don't say this to throw shade. Some of my closest girlfriends have been the most critical, hurtful, betraying forces in my life. I've made peace with those incidents, but I would be lying if I didn't say it changed me. I am guarded with females, and I do expect them to eventually backstab me. I mean you watched 'Mean Girls' right? I knew a few Regina Georges in high school and in college. Women who pretended to be my friend only to undercut  me later. I know that being distrustful of females is no way to live so I pray often for God to soften my heart, and receive female friendship. (This is why I have so many guy friends.)

 Gosh I love my guy friends. I feel like a little sister surrounded around tough brothers. I know when I'm with these cats nothing bad is going to happen except for maybe one of them farting without notice. Love You Guys.

Back to the females. Since I said that prayer about female friendships God has brought some amazing, funny, beautiful, complicated, supporting women in my life. This is certainly not all of them but a few. Here's to this week's lifters, eagles, and slayers



#WomenWhoSlay: Women Who Are Lifters, Promoters, Supporters, Slayers 

Andrea N from The Limited: I love to shop, but now that I am a curvy size woman shopping is not as easy as it used to be. I can't wear certain patterns, cuts, or materials. I always have to watch out for how outrageous my breasts and ass look in clothes. Trust me the #struggleisreal. I walked into The Limited in Greenbrier Mall back in February. At the time I had no job, my business Good Girl Chronicles was just an idea, and absolutely no wear to work clothes. 

I was greeted by the manager Andrea. Now I can say this because I consider Andrea a friend. But, homegirl and I are not on the same clothing spectrum. I am a size 16 and Andrea, well Andrea can wear sample size. I do not say this to throw shade. When Andrea came and asked, "How are you doing?" I thought to myself, "There is no way this woman is going to be able to help my fat ass fit in anything." ( I didn't say that out loud.) 

"Oh I have some job interviews coming up and I have no cute work clothes," I said. 
"Really what are you applying for," she asked. At the time I was applying for a few radio and television jobs. 

"Let me show you what we have, " Andrea said leading me around the store. I have never shopped at The Limited EVER! I thought it was too expensive, too square, and not stretchy enough. Andrea changed my perspective on all of that. She showed me the material that is forgiving to plus size women, patterns that concealed and THEN encouraged me on my job search. I'm going to try not to cry, but I needed Andrea that day and I didn't even know it. She made me feel like anything was possible, and with a good suit, a smile, and confidence I could land any job I wanted. I walked out with a store credit card and a lot of amazing clothes. Thank you Andrea. It's not just Andrea her entire staff slays. I  know them by first name, and when I opened my business Good Girl Chronicles LLC The Limited let me host 2 shopping events there to promote my blog. Oh I forgot to mention I never break the bank at The Limited because it's an outlet store in Greenbrier Mall now called 'BackRoom at the Limited' and the prices are always crazy good.



Thanks for sharpening me Andrea. I'll never forget what you've done for me and Good Girl Chronicles. Here are some pictures from the Shop for Team Good Girl shopping event.




Elizabeth -I met Liz at Kay Jewelers in Greenbrier Mall. I never imagined I'd have a Kay Jewelers account since I am single, unmarried, childless, and financially challenged. But, Kay Jewelers approved me, and a sales representative (not Elizabeth) sold me on the idea of spoiling myself. Eventually I found myself in the Kay Jewelers in Greenbrier Mall almost every other day. I go to the  mall often to power walk and network and Kay Jewelers is near the mall entrance. Each time Elizabeth has been there I've felt safe, loved, and supported.

How can a jewelry associate make you feel that way? Well when I went into the store I talked about my blog, business, and my crazy love life. Each time Liz was all about it. She asked me questions, took my flier, even tested out some bras I'm reviewing. She is honest, but kind. I've bought several pieces of jewelry from her because I trust she is not hustling me. Even more than that, Eizabeth has taken an interest in my life. She's hugged me on a day I needed a friend, brought me dinner when I was hungry, and through her amazing story-telling reminded me my life is not as crazy as I think. Basically she reminded me, someone always has it worse. Thank you doll. Glad to call you friend. Oh and did I mention she's hella inspiring because she's losing weight the healthy way? Well she is and I'm super proud. Thank you for sharpening me doll.


#KEEPSLAYING

The Taylor Swift of J.B. Robinson- Ya hunty I met Taylor Swift at Greenbrier Mall. Not really but she is named Taylor and she is fabulous.  I meet Taylor at J.B. Robinson. I had purchased a necklace at another jewelry and I was convinced the necklace made my skin turn red, itchy, and blotchy. The other jeweler did not want to investigate the problem or offer me a return of my item. I went to J.B. Robinson in hopes of figuring out why I had an allergic reaction, Taylor Swift ( my Taylor Swift not the singer) research the issue, and in minutes it became clear that I broke out from a necklace cleaner. Taylor said a lot of people had issues with the cleaner. I was so grateful that I purchased an item from J.B. Robinson because I felt safe and cared for with Taylor. She explained the deals, and promotions the store was running and I actually ended up saving A LOT of money.



I have not known Taylor long but she's offered me amazing customer service. I've worked in retail off and on since I was 17 so I appreciate good service. Taylor also compliments me everytime I'm in the store, offers me deals, and had some incredible heart-to-hearts with me. I am sad she is leaving J.B. Robinson to explore other career opportunities but I know she'll do great wherever she goes.. and she's going from jewelry to selling furniture. I guess I know where I'm buying my next couch from. Thanks doll.! #ironsharpensiron

Where MY GIRLS AT: I also want to thank Bethany, Anita, Shay, and Kendra for your generous donations. They have literally fed me. Love you dolls.


No comments:

Post a Comment