Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Bravery of Telling Your Own Story : Good Girl Chronicles Mission Prt2

The Bravery of Telling Your Own Story: Good Girl Chronicles Mission Prt 2

What I’m about to say is hard to explain to someone who is not of faith. When I was young, I heard a still voice speak to me. It wasn’t like a human voice. It was a voice I felt on the inside of me.

 I remember the day very vividly. I was around 6 or 7, and sitting in front of this vanity mirror my mother got me. Me, my little brother, sister, mother and father were living on base housing in Jacksonville, Florida. On this particular day the sun was out, and I remember looking out the window to see white fluffy clouds. I was daydreaming of another tale to write.

I've wanted to write stories since I was a little girl fiction, non-fiction, drama, romance, you name it I loved it. The day I first heard God speak to me I was daydreaming about a story of an African girl. The girl in my story was free to roam the desert as she pleased. She had dark skin, and thick black hair. She smiled all the time, and had a lot of friends. She was peaceful. In front of my vanity mirror, I wanted so desperately to be her that day. I wanted to escape to that African Sahara were there no problems, no father going out to sea, no sad mother, or men coming in and out of her life. Like that African girl I'd be free to just be me. Her life was simple and she was at peace. As I put my pencil to paper to write her story, I heard someone say.
Baby Lauren and my little brother

“I hear you Lauren, and I love your stories.”

I remember turning around, and looking for someone else in the room. It was just me and that still voice.  “One day Lauren you stories will travel oceans. You’ll tell amazing things,” the voice said. I felt myself getting excited hearing this still voice describe my future.


“You will be on magazines. You will sell books, you will be everything you want to be. But… you will have a heavy cross to bare. I can’t tell you what that means right now, but with me you will be able to carry your cross, and you’ll use it to set my people free.”


One of my first television jobs, where I learned the power of story telling. #NBC12ANDME


I had no clue what any of this meant. When I was a child, I went to church, I knelt at the altar, I got saved every Sunday cause I felt so sinful, but no one ever told me about God speaking to His children this way. When I first heard the still voice I chalked it up to my vivid imagination, but I never forgot it. Decades and many moons later I now know that still voice was God reaching from his kingdom to tell a wishful little writer that her life had purpose, but that didn’t mean she was immune to pain.

December 2016 days after my Christmas Eve, that still voice broke through the darkness of my depression and shook me once again.

 “Lauren, it's time to get up from this. I can tell you now what your cross is," the voice said. Your cross to bare is your mental illness, your heartbreak, your loss, your pain, the betrayal, the squandered dreams, your depression, your anxiety, your fear,” He said. “It’s time now my child to pick up your cross, and set my people free. Show them how God's children get up from pain and loss. Show them how I set you free today. Show them you are brave my child.”
I know now my truth sets me free....... 


I cry when I think of this beautiful, painful moment in my life. 

“Your story Lauren Hope will set my people free from shame, judgement, the stigma of mental illness, the pain of losing love, betrayal, loss, and difference.”

“Father, I have nothing to give. I am overweight, jobless, scarred, depressed, suicidal, and alone. I’d die today if I could,” I replied.

You can get up from this Lauren. It’s time to get up from this. I never promised you, life would be easy NEVER. I promised you I’d help you endure it. I will help you endure it child NOW GET UP,” He commanded."

“Father I ruined everything. I left the dream job, picked the wrong men, trusted the wrong friends, did the wrong things. I am of no use to you. My own family doesn’t understand my pain and we share the same blood,” I said with tears streaming down my face.


Taken my 32 bday. No family called, texted or gifted.
But  I've never felt so free.

“Let it go Lauren. The plan I have you is far greater than of those things. Just like I told you as a little girl your story will show the world how to overcome. And, when I restore you again…. You tell them that you love an amazing God. When I bring you riches, you tell them God brought you through. When you fail, you tell them you love a God that loves you anyway.”

That night I cried. I cried for the men I thought would love me forever, the friends I loved like family, the job that almost killed my spirit, and the past I was too ashamed to face. I have not been the same since. 

The next day, air was crispier, sunlight had new meaning, and Lauren Hope remembered again why God made her a writer, a journalist, a blogger, and a storyteller.  I believe the best story-tellers are lights in the world. They shine a light on injustice, discrimination, pain, loss. They shine a light on the good in the world, the victories, and the triumphs. They are seekers of the truth.

With my boy Apollo rocking a  'This is My Brave Shirt'
They motivated me to keep blogging
Check them out www.thisismybrave.org



The beautiful thing is the more I share my story, the more liberated I am. The more I share my story the less shame I carry, the less hurt I lug around, and the less depression lingers. It is true what the word says, the truth will set you free…. Now that I’ve seen what it’s done for me I want the same thing for other people. That is why I started Good Girl Chronicles LLC, a blog, social media consulting, public speaking, mental health advocacy company with a strong desire to tell powerful stories about people.


My first headshot as blogger, media guru,
founder of Good Girl Chronicles LLC


You can join this journey of mine as a subscriber, or I can help you craft your own story as a contributor. I’m blessed to have Jacquelyn Grace, my first and only contributor, who tells beautiful stories about love and friendship. I’d more writers like her.
Telling your story sets you free … I have a story to tell… I know you do too…. At Good Girl Chronicles LLC we want to listen.

SHARE YOUR STORY WITH ME AT TEAMGOODGIRL84@GMAIL.COM
MAKE A DONATION TO FURTHER MY CAUSE WWW.GOFUNDME.COM/TEAMGOODGIRL





No comments:

Post a Comment