Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Life after coming clean about depression

Today, I am thankful for a new day. A new chance to start again. A friend named Kenneth told me this, "Yes, this is a new day, one no man has ever seen before or will ever see again. Always makes the most of it."

I will Kenneth. Today I plan to sign a lease for my office space in Chesapeake. Hopefully no one has my business name, 'Good Girl Chronicles' . I have a feeling I will be alright cause God put that name on my heart when I was in high school.

Tallwood heads you remember all those short stories I used to write? I still have them, and they inspire me. I'm told many of you still remember them and love them. I wanted to write like Danielle Steele or write for Young & The Restless. That didn't happen but I did get to work for the number one station in the market, and the baddest on the East coast if you ask me so that's a blessing.

Once I get my office up and running it's all about the book, motivational speaking, securing a book tour, volunteering, helping my stylist Precious with her many projects (more on her later), and feeling like an adult again. I had to move in with my parents to help my sister and get control of my depression. It is hard sometimes, but I am saving money, and getting stronger. For the first time in my life I am having real conversations about depression and mental health in the black community. Ask yourself why doesn't mainstream media cover the black male suicides? Well a new documentary is about to do that. It is a serious issue in our community and only a few brave people are talking about it. Google black male suicides you will see it's been on the rise for the last couple of years.

I took heat for coming clean on my depression but I gladly take the stones. I survived that's all that matters and now I want to help others do the same. 

Rome was not built in a day so this may take time. My lease at my office space will be for a year. I hope to meet a lot you, hear your ideas, and get to work. I want to travel to your towns, speaks to your schools, and cry with your depressed youth. With great power comes great responsibility I want my post TV career to mean something so here I am trying to be responsible.

I will need your love and support especially on the tough days, the days I want to throw in the towel run away and be a waitress in a dive town ( I actually had this thought when I was depressed. Funny thing is I could never get hired as a waitress EVER I've tried. Applesbees, Ruby Tuesday they all TURNED ME DOWN lol irony.) 

Also, I wanted to let you know I am so encouraged by the feedback on Facebook and Twitter. The amount of love I've received from strangers is unreal. Never saw that coming. I was so scared to post about my depression. But, now I feel free and renewed. Thank you twitter followers for that affirmation. Thank you WSET fans who always amaze me with their love and support. Thank you to the few WAVY viewers who remember me... I love you right back. So many of you said don't leave television for good, don't stop writing, don't stop loving, and don't stop being be you. It is hard to stand in your own truth but I am getting stronger and I am unafraid.

Thanks to that one amazing, unlikely friend who lit a fire in me--- he said, "Lauren this is not you. I know who you are, and you are not being you. F everything else it's all about you,"


He even gave me a song to play when the haters came for me. I can't list it cause it has too many curse words lol but it did inspire me.

Since our talk I have prayed harder, worked out harder, loved harder, spoke louder, took bolder steps. God used that man to push me into a new chapter. Thank you love. I will always remember that night talk----ALWAYS. No matter where God takes me if you ever need anything call me. If you ever change your mind about loving a girl like me and I'm single I'll rock hard for you.  I got you. I hope the feeling is mutual. 

This could be us but you playing.


Now it is time to do some work! I am new creature in Christ. Like Alicia Keys said this is a BRAND NEW KINDA ME. 




Love you, Love God More.

P.S. I almost forgot my VERY OWN website will be up soon. Goodgirlchapters.blogspot.com will be replaced by www.laurenhope.co . I hope you visit, read, share, subscribe, like, and we have healthy debates. I hope you book me for speaking engagements I will always be honest and raw. I also hope you buy my book you do not have to agree but open your mind to listen. I will listen to you too. Sometimes I do jump the gun because I feel people are out to attack me, but I do listen. Trust me I am and will forever be a journalist.

No comments:

Post a Comment