Sunday, March 27, 2016

Lolo Parties: Dance Scene in Lynchburg & Club Flirting


Saturday night I ended my tour of downtown Lynchburg’s club scene by going to Dish, a restaurant that turns into a dance spot after 10:30 p.m. If you live in the Hill City then you know the owner of Dish was once the owner of Mangia on Rivermont Avenue. (I loved that place by the way.)

As I do for any night on the town I played some good music and proceeded to go through five outfits before I found one that worked. I decided on my new light blue Bebe jumpsuit. It is comfy and gave me room to dance if I wanted to. I finished the outfit off with some cute Hello Kitty glasses I found at a Lynchburg mall, and some sandals I got on sale at Target (i don't pay full price for any clothes anymore. They must be on sale.)

Before leaving I stopped downstairs to talk to the bartenders at my hotel. We all talked about the downtown night life and then a rowdy man from a nearby wedding party came and shook things up. He had some crazy tales of how the wedding went South. I swore to him I wouldn’t write about it, but trust me it was fucking hilarious. 


I finally arrived at Dish around 11:30 p.m. Parking was plentiful, but I was a little nervous because the parking area was behind a restaurant that was completely dark. There was no lighting at all. Needless to say I walked super fast. This chick is not getting Datelined if she can help it. When I finally reached the sidewalk of Main Street I could see bright lights coming from Dish. Interestingly enough there was another dance party happening right next door except that music was country and hard rock. Gotta love Lynchburg’s musical diversity.


Before I could get inside I had to pay a $5 cover charge which isn’t bad. What was entertaining was the appearance of the bouncers. They looked to be very young and super handsome. I jokingly said, “Oh what you’re the bouncer? Yeah right.”

“I am the bouncer,” the young man said proudly. He was wearing a red blazer, shirt, and tie. This was the smoothest bouncer I had ever seen. 

In Richmond bouncers were huge, edgy, or standoffish. This kid was practically flirting with me. I laughed. If this was my protection I might be in trouble. After some slight flirtation, I was so comforted to see people I knew. I ran into a band member of this soul group called 'Apple Butter' and we talked for a while. Then I headed over to the bar for a drink. They didn’t have Bud Light Lime or Michelob Ultra which I love but they did have Bud Light. I settled for that. 

Like a lot of dance places most of the people dancing were females which was OK. But, I wonder why do men come to clubs or dance spots if they aren’t going to dance? In Richmond you practically have to push the men off you on the dance floor. The men in Dish did nothing but watch. I even asked one fine Latin man (There I go again. Sorry City Hall I promise I was good) why he wasn’t dancing. He said it’s cause he didn’t dance. Lame! There were a few guys dancing but not enough for me to get not enough for me to get on the dance floor and shake it so I watched. I do  have to give it to the DJ Jack Edma. The musical mix was fire. I wanted to dance so bad but in my bootylicious Bebe suit I was afraid I would get Datelined. 


There were a lot of hot females at Dish. The girl sitting next to me at the bar looked just like
Durrani Popal is hot
this smoking hot girl from the Kardashian show Dash Dolls Durrani Popal. I told her so and then pulled up a picture on my Blackberry. I should have snapped a picture with the Durrani look alike but her boyfriend was a tipsy and feely. I didn’t want to ruin the moment. If you watch Bar Rescue on Spike TV then you know that females are important to clubs, restaurants, and bars. These venues cater to women mostly because if they come the men come. And, if the men come to watch girls then you make money. It's a simple philosophy. If I ever own or operate a club I plan to use John Taffer's model. It works.


Feeling like an old lady, I got up to leave around midnight. Before I could make it to the door though I was struck by this super tall white guy. He towered over everyone. I wanted to flirt so bad. I wanted to test the waters and see if he liked black girls so I went for it.

“Oh my goodness you are so tall. You’re like the Jolly Green giant,” I said yelling over the music. (Good opening line right?)

“I get that a lot,” he said. His friend chimed in, “He’s more like Goliath.” 

“Naw, I don’t believe that. You're the Jolly Green Giant,” I said patting his shoulder. (Women this is what I do to decipher a man’s comfort level with me. The fact that he did not move away showed me he was semi interested in the convo) We continued to talk and I learned he was a financial adviser for a big company, (I’m not allowed to say which) and he has no girlfriend cause he is super busy. (I’m busy too but I still make time for City Hall) I kind of got tired of him not making a move so I finished our conversation and I left.

Dish was a cool spot. The dance area is a little small but they make the most of it. There is plenty space to sit and chill if you want. Just don't expect any fine Latin men to dance with you there. Ha! Five dollars is not a bad cover charge. I’ve paid upwards of $10 dollars to get in a Richmond club. It was cool though. 

But, honestly the most fun I had that night was back at my hotel. I laughed it up with the bartenders there and the bald one made me feel super cool. We laughed over our similarities. He told me about his girlfriend, I told him about City Hall. It was a good exchange. After that I went upstairs whipped out my CVS Kettle corn, danced, organized my clothes, and fell asleep. Does this mean I am getting old? My idea of a good night was kettle corn, dancing, and Key & Peele. The night would have been perfect if I had City Hall to cuddle with but maybe another time.


Lolo is packing in her party shoes until next time. Thanks for the fun Lynchburg!


Love you, Love God More


Lauren Hope 

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog!!! Now I have to go shop at BeBe. I never knew they had clothes for curvy chicks. I'm heading there this weekend! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete