Monday, March 21, 2016

Love After Depression: Meeting City Hall

As many of you know I am "talking" (that's what we call it when we are in the beginning stages of dating right?) to a man I call 'City Hall.' I met his sexy ass while I was trying to get a business license in a city hall.  I won't say which cause I don't want  nobody coming for my Latin boo. And, he came right on time just as I was relishing in my love of Latin men. He's the kind of guy that reminds you of your sexy, that makes you blush, and makes you want to dance again.

Meeting City Hall

Here is the scene: it is cold, rainy, and windy outside. I did not see the forecast so I'm wearing a dress, no panty hoses, and sneakers for comfort. I threw on a grey fleece jacket over it and I'm power walking to city hall. The city I'm in is notorious for ticketing drivers, and booting their cars. (a dead giveaway I know) I figure if I run in and out the meter maid won't be able to ticket me.

I am seriously not worried about how I look right now. This is business and I am anxious to start my LLC so I am walking with intention. A few men have glanced at my legs clearly wondering why I am not wearing panty hoses or tights on this cold day. I smile and shrug it off. When I finally find my way to the city hall room for business licenses, I am slightly irritated. There is a long ass line and I know city hall closes at 5:00 p.m. It is 4:00. Straight ahead of me is a counter with two black women who totally look like they are over answering questions. Great I have to deal with attitude today too. Why did we do this black women? Why do we project this bitchy persona? I mean we can smile, we can be soft. 

I prepare myself to get handled like a two year old by one of these black women, yet to my surprise she kindly tells me I am in the wrong room, hands me a piece of paper, and directs me to the right pace. Ugh I have been power walking all day, my calves are burning, and I have to race three blocks to make it to the right office. I'm so over this today. 

Just as I was about to leave I glance over to the next counter. There he is. Mr. City Hall. He grins at me. I grin back. I take a piece of hair and tuck it behind my ear. What are you doing Lauren? He is working? Move your ass time is running out. You will never see him again, get moving. These thoughts have me frozen, I look down at the paper work the black woman handed me and I think to myself, "Is he trying to get my attention? Is he looking at me again? Should I do this? Like should I do what I really wanna do which is proudly go up to this man and ask for his number?" I look at him one more time and our eyes lock for a second. It's like that scene in Drumline when Nick Cannon finally gets close to the object of his affection. This Alicia Keys songs starts to play and it's as if only the two of them exist.



I exhale and approach the woman standing next to City Hall. "Excuse me ma'm I know this is odd, but I think your co-worker is so fine," I said. "I figure I only have one shot at this and I don't know when I'll be back, can you give him my number."

"Excuse me," she said. Her eyes got wide. "You want me to give him your number?"

I'm thinking to myself she must get this all the time. City Hall is too cute for words.  He has this light skin. It's a soft mixture of caramel and vanilla. He has black hair, and a beard that to me makes him seem a little tough. I wondering what is under his suit, and don't get me started on that cute little grin he gave me.

If Alicia Keys could do it I figured I could. "Yes ma'm I want your co-worker's number."

The lady paused for a second, then she smiled wide. "You know what? Get it girl," she said and raised her hand to give me a high five. I wrote my number on of piece of notebook paper walked out of that city hall feeling amazing.
  
Depression was killer for my love life. I pushed away every man that ever cared about me, because I didn't think I was worthy. I look back and I wish my heart would have allowed me to connect with one of those men who wanted to comfort me. In a way maybe God wanted to show me He was the ultimate comforter. So here I am for the first time in over a year, feeling super attracted to a man, and having the confidence to actually go for it.

City Hall texted an hour later when he got off, "Hey, it's that cute guy from City Hall."

"Well I'm Lauren and I'm glad you texted back."

He asked for some cute pictures of me, and I dug deep into my Facebook profile and found the ones that highlight my best figure, like my smile people, my smile.

He sent me some cute pictures too of him and his brother, and him in a fly ass suit. I liked this man's swagger. For the past week we've exchanged texts and I heard his sexy Spanish accent over the phone.

"Your voice is so sexy, and I love Spanish. I studied for five years and I studied abroad, but I am so terrible at speaking it, " I said.

"Don't worry Mami we'll get yout there," he said.

His voice was a little Spanish, a little hood, and a whole lot of hot.  How can someone's voice make you hot and bothered? Have I been single too long?

 In a short manner of time my name has gone from Lauren to boo, to sweetheart, to hey love. Gosh I love pet names.

In my past love life I let men set the tone. They determined where we went to eat, what we talked about, and how our relationship worked.  Not this time. Now that I am a stronger, more confident woman I want to assert some standards too.

"Promise me no matter what happens between us you are honest with me," I texted one morning. "I am a big girl. I can take it. I might cry or get angry, but trust me I'll get over it. If you see another chick that you want to pursue let me know and set me free."

"I am being real and honest," City Hall texted. "I will always be that way with you."

"Perfect, you have no idea how hard that is for some people. I am a little soft so sometimes your honesty will hurt, but I always bounce back babe always." (and that's the truth y'all God has made me a resilient sister.

Tomorrow I'll blog about the sweet little hour we had during his lunch break.

Now for those of you who are worried I'll fall in love too soon. I am very sure of what this is, it's the infatuation stage of a relationship. It's the time everything about that person is awesome, perfect, and untainted. I love this period in dating, but I love what's next more:when shit gets real. That's the moment you know if the infatuation can grow to love. Will the guy love you when Aunt Flow visits and all you want to do is watch 'The Notebook' and eat chocolate?  Will he listen when you complain about the messed up people at your job or tolerate another story about your girlfriends? Can you roll over in the morning with your satin bonnet, no makeup, and still expect him to find you sexy? I do not know about City Hall this is only the beginning. A beginning I am so happy to explore.

City Hall may be a few dates and a smile or he could be the next boo. He could be the one strong enough to hold me down. We'll see, but I'm definitely into him.





No comments:

Post a Comment