Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Love After Depression : The First Date With City Hall

First dates are the best in MY opinion. You are a bundle of nerves, excitement, and anything is possible. Dating City Hall has been no different.

After a week of texting and chatting with City Hall I was more than ready to see this Latin love face-to-face again. Since I was driving past Richmond on way home to Virginia Beach, City Hall suggests I come by his job for lunch. I arrive a few minutes before 12:30. My heart feels tight like its is bundled up and hiding inside of itself. I park the Beetle next to a parking machine that is covered with a green blanket. Great that's all I need is a parking ticket when I'm going to see City Hall. Fuck it, I'll chance it. 

I must admit my outfit was a on point that day. A few days prior I visited Bebe at the Williamsburg Outlets and I bought as many sexy outfits as my budget could afford. I settled on a pair of black high-waisted pants (which look good on a curvy frame), a pink sheer sweater from Banana Republic and tan flats. I felt hot but not like I was trying too hard. (this is my mission for every outfit in life )

When I walked into City Hall's office, my eyes zeroed in on him.  He looked better than I remembered. He looks every bit of business in his suit and tie. His beard is nicely groomed, and those eyes are killing me softly. When I approach the business license counter, City Hall looks slightly flustered and he rests his head in his hands.

'It's never that bad baby hon," I said in my cute girly voice. You know the cutesy voice ladies use to get a man to do something. When he finally looks up at me, he gives me a slight smile. Two Latin men approached City Hall's counter so I stepped aside and watched City Hall work. City Hall spoke Spanish, the language of love, to every Latino that came in there for issues. I melted every time he said a hard 'R'. I could tell he was a huge asset for this office, and even though I'm not his girlfriend that made me proud.

"Want to go outside," he say. I nod yes. We walk outside and the second we open the door there is a gust of cold air. It is cold today, and I'm thinking I want to step closer to him, wrap my arms around him, and slowly press my lips to his. It is too soon for that Lauren, focus on those gorgeous eyes. We talk about our ambitions for a minute, and I'm surprised to see that City Hall is a smoker. Now ladies this is normally an absolute deal breaker for me, but for some reason I didn't give two shits about his smoking. I wondered if I could taste the nicotine if we kissed, and if I could tolerate it. Am I lonely or is City Hall just that attractive to me?

"Let's go inside. It's cold. I don't know what to eat," City Hall says ushering me inside.

"Oh, I would have brought you something. I already had a meal replacement I'm totally not hungry." This is only partly true. I can always, I mean ALWAYS eat. I dis however eat a meal replacement shake to settle my nerves.

City Hall shows me to the cafeteria, and we stand in front of a deli stand while he tried to order.  The NCAA tournament is playing on a television in the background.

"Ugh, the Rams are out. I am not longer interested in March Madness," I said. I purposely mention  that I half way watch sports. I want him to know I am not just some girly girl, and I like guy stuff too.

"College ball sucks," he replied.

"Excuse me! College ball is the heart of sports. The kids aren't beholden to million dollar contracts, and they play with so much heart. What is wrong with you?" I snapped.  Ok I can get on my soap box about things but I could not understand why I he didn't like college ball.

"NBA that's where it's at," he says then flashes that grin that hooked me.

"Well I guess. I like Lebron, Kobe, and Dirk. They are the only players that speak to me."

"Lebron? Lebron? He's overrated."

"Um, excuse me did you not see 'More than a Game' about Lebron's high school career?" (Um, I own it. And yes I've watched it several times.)

City Hall laughs. We sit down to eat and City Hall goes on to tell me is one of five brothers. His family is very close, and they all help each other. I explain I'm a former reporter, who always wanted to be a writer. My family lives in Virginia Beach, and I'm not as close to my siblings as I would like. This goes on for about 20 minutes while City Hall eats lunch.

"Let me take you somewhere,"City Hall says showing me the way. When we we get off the elevator I notice we're on the observatory deck and you can see the entire city. In all my years as a reporter I've never been to the observatory deck and I've been to this particular building several times. Nice touch City Hall. He is either a good player or a slight romantic. I hope it's the latter. (I have burned by so many charming men I have to prepare for both outcomes.)

We talk some more about our ambitions, like how he has a prototype for a cool invention, and like how I planned to be published this year. It was a cool exchange. I haven't been on a lot of dates where the man had as much or more to promote about himself as I. It was refreshing.  For a second we are alone on the deck, and I'm hoping he will kiss me. The moment takes me back to this Total song from the 90's

I am lost in his eyes, and just when I think it is going to happen someone walks onto the observatory deck. FUCK! It won't happen this date. The tension built up inside of me is hard to swallow.

"My break's almost over. Let's go," City Hall says.

We head downstairs and before I leave he hugs me and gives a simple kiss on the cheek. His lips are soft. That is enough for me. Ok, City Hall I see you. Gentleman, funny, determined to co-sign on the NBA being better than NCAA, and so fucking hot. There will be a second date if you are game. I walk away, trying hard not to look back but I can't help it. He waves.

I get to my Beetle and sure enough the parking police did put a ticket on my car, but I didn't even care. I plan to plead ignorance which is true. The meter was covered.


Anyway, City Hall texted me minutes later.

"Don't worry I will be seeing you when you're back in town."

Ok City Hall OK!

Ahh here's one of my favorite Youtubers describing the First Kiss Jitters.. HAHAH--maybe next time folks. BTW I love him and I want to meet him in real life.



Honestly, y'all I don't know what will happen with City Hall, but the journey feels amazing. They people will remember how you make them feel more than anything. Well City Hall has made me feel amazing, beautiful, flirty, and fun-- like me again. So even if nothing materializes from this courtship I am so grateful to have shared a few playful text, conversations, and an amazing first date. 

No comments:

Post a Comment